Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

found this youtube clip where he tig welds cast iron with a rod he said was also cast iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbLZQCOV9jg

has anyone tried this or heard about it?

Mark
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

mpete53 wrote:found this youtube clip where he tig welds cast iron with a rod he said was also cast iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbLZQCOV9jg

has anyone tried this or heard about it?

Mark
You can use piston rings in a pinch because of the high nickel content. I can't remember the name of the alloy, but there's a stick rod with 880 in it (if memory serves correct) somewhere that is designed for cast iron service.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Never tried it with cast rods on Tig - but until the flux went bad I used to gas weld it - usually worked well but I never did it cold - always big preheat - weld - post heat to even out temperature then bury in sand - I think I still got the rods so may try it just for $#1ts & giggles ! - funny he had round rods - the only ones I ever seen here were always square - with Tig I would use nickel of choice every time.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Why was he inhaling helium while he was working? :o He talked funny. I never used a cast iron rod made of cast iron but did use SuperMissileweld, NI55, and NI99, and soon to have some Cronatron 221 in my arsenal.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Inconel is pretty awesome for cast. Most of the time I turn down cast repairs but I have pulled off a few with Inconel.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Inconel is pretty awesome for cast. Most of the time I turn down cast repairs but I have pulled off a few with Inconel.
Inconel 625? Did you win the lottery or something. That stuff is expensive. :o

exnailpounder wrote:Inconel is pretty awesome for cast. Most of the time I turn down cast repairs but I have pulled off a few with Inconel.
Inconel 82?
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

LtBadd wrote:
Inconel 82?
Damned if I know Richard. I tried to read the laser print and my eyes can't see it. Nice to have a boilermaker buddy working in a refinery :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

That rod is an Aussie product. Not alot of info about it except that it's good for grey cast iron. Still available in 5mm but does not appear to be stocked commonly. Have to order it in. Price anywhere between $52 and $116 for a 2.5kg pack.
I think I'd like to try it but I rarely do cast iron and therefore can't justify that price to have another pack of rods on the shelf gathering dust.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Ever hear of Muggy Rod a fellow welder recommended for cast never have seen it though, may be a nick name
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Google muggyweld, not a nick name.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Went to the website didn't see much good in the reviews. Seems like mostly a soldering of aluminum process not a true weld.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks for the interest. I don't have any cast iron repairs to do but thought that it might be of interest to hear if anyone had used it.

as for muggy weld I have used their silver solder with good results even on stainless steel.

Mark