Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:45 pm

This is my chance to show my girlfriend getting a TIG wasn't such a useless buy and at the same time get my first taste on stainless but only if I don't screw this up.

How would you approach this repair tungsten size/cup size amps or anything else worth mentioning?

Whenever I read something online related to stainless things like purging and big cups seem to pop up...

Also out of interest what grade of stainless would this most likely be?
I'm guessing I don't need filler.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

The answer to your first is nor very much at all. Like 5 or 10 amps for a fraction of a second. The answer to your filler question is most likely none. Drill out the hole until the rod pokes trough it flush and just fuse it in. Use a super sharp electrode. A normal cup should do for something this small.

Good luck. (You may find that this was high temp brazed. Electric beater mixers are, I know. This could cause some issues)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:The answer to your first is nor very much at all. Like 5 or 10 amps for a fraction of a second. The answer to your filler question is most likely none. Drill out the hole until the rod pokes trough it flush and just fuse it in. Use a super sharp electrode. A normal cup should do for something this small.

Good luck. (You may find that this was high temp brazed. Electric beater mixers are, I know. This could cause some issues)
Yup!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

New ones cost $5-10 on Amazon. Tell her you fixed it, throw the old one out, mission accomplished.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... elon+knife
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I would go with a 1/8" lanthanated tungsten and 300 amps with AC postive (no pulse) and put the pedal down to the floor to quickly ramp up the heat. Use 1/8" 309 SS filler and a #14 cup with the CFH set at 50. Then order that one off of Amazon. :lol:
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

electrode wrote:I would go with a 1/8" lanthanated tungsten and 300 amps with AC postive (no pulse) and put the pedal down to the floor to quickly ramp up the heat. Use 1/8" 309 SS filler and a #14 cup with the CFH set at 50. Then order that one off of Amazon. :lol:
Thats what I would do too 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Point is he wants to proof value of the tig purchase. Not tell her it's OK to just order anything anytime.. :mrgreen:

I'll try and repair anything she wants and just mention by the way how many tools that was required :lol:
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Maybe he could get a lathe out of the deal to make a new pin to replace the one that pulled out of the handle. :D

How to become a millionaire. Start with ten million dollars and start a welding and machining hobby. ;)
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

All kidding aside, I would silver solder it because I have the supplies on hand and it would only take a few minutes. I would not go buy silver solder just to repair this knife.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

AndersK wrote:Point is he wants to proof value of the tig purchase. Not tell her it's OK to just order anything anytime..
Maybe in Sweden you would tell the girlfriend you bought a new knife, here in Chicago we would buy the new knife, heat up the pin to discolor it so it looks like a repair was made, then claim credit for a perfect repair and lay the foundation for many new tools. If he messes up this repair, she'll be double convinced he shouldn't have a tig welder. :lol:
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch

! Great success !

Thanks @weldin mike 27

@electrode rest assured your approach would have been next if things didn't work out :D

Looks good!
Richard
Website
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Nice job! Hope she's happy and it makes her feel better about the purchase. Your on your way to paying it off to- $10 of like $750
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

electrode wrote:Maybe he could get a lathe out of the deal to make a new pin to replace the one that pulled out of the handle. :D

How to become a millionaire. Start with ten million dollars and start a welding and machining hobby. ;)
I always say "if you wanna make a small fortune in weld/fab, start out with a large one."
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

No problem mate. I've repaired (ruined) a few kitchen utensils. So I've learned to start low. You can turn the heat up, but you cant rescue a molten blob of ss from the garage floor.

Mick
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

MarkL wrote:New ones cost $5-10 on Amazon. Tell her you fixed it, throw the old one out, mission accomplished.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... elon+knife
Sometimes you have to fix it... The family pressure is immense..

Good example.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TswAFbALIys

:lol:

Bye, Arno.

Haha dear god I ended up watching all of part 2 as well. He has my respect :)
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

MarkL wrote:
AndersK wrote:Point is he wants to proof value of the tig purchase. Not tell her it's OK to just order anything anytime..
Maybe in Sweden you would tell the girlfriend you bought a new knife, here in Chicago we would buy the new knife, heat up the pin to discolor it so it looks like a repair was made, then claim credit for a perfect repair and lay the foundation for many new tools. If he messes up this repair, she'll be double convinced he shouldn't have a tig welder. :lol:
That cracked me up :mrgreen:

Nice repair!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

MarkL wrote: Maybe in Sweden you would tell the girlfriend you bought a new knife, here in Chicago we would buy the new knife, heat up the pin to discolor it so it looks like a repair was made, then claim credit for a perfect repair and lay the foundation for many new tools. If he messes up this repair, she'll be double convinced he shouldn't have a tig welder. :lol:
Well, in Sweden we just buy the things first without asking.
You're better off begging for forgiveness than permission :lol:
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

When I first saw this I asked myself-¨what on earth is a watermelon knife?¨ I have never seen one. If I was you and she said that it was broken-knife is in the drawer or wanna use my pocket knife. Seems excessive to me. I guess I´m one of those guys that likes to eat it off the rhine. Like strawberries-I don´t remove the dang leaves-keeps the food away from my mouth. Sometimes I forget and eat the leaves.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick