Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Does anyone know if you splice your HTP invertig 221 cooler plug can you wire it into the Miller Coolmate 1.3 using these connections and cutting end of Invertig Cooler plug and putting a receptacle. If anyone has any knowlage of these i would appreciate the help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007O ... EAA6&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Sillites-SCRBR-T ... receptacle
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The splice should be pretty straight forward. I remember a while back I was checking the voltage on the 4-pin connector at the back of the 221, and just as I suspected, 1 pin is not being used. One of them is ground, and the others correspond to whatever is the input voltage to the whole machine (I say that because mine is DV, so if it's on 220V, I get that, but if on 110V, then I get 110V at the cooler plug output). If you have a 220V-only machine, then I'm almost positive you will get that output at the back of the machine (and the ground of course). Is the Coolmate 1.3 a dual-voltage unit or single voltage? I'll double check my machine and report back.
WeldingJunkie

You are the man Oscar- That's what i was thinking too. The Coolmate 1.3 is a 120v. I wonder if i use 1 pin for the ground and 1 pin for the hot would that work? MY HTP Invertig 221 is a 220v machine. I confirmed with miller for the Coolmate it can only take a 120v. YOU think only using 1 pin and 1 ground would work?

I thought 4 pins on the HTP means 1 Ground 1 Neutral 2 hots and on the DV Model 1 pin doesn't work because that's the only hot.....1 Ground 1 Neutral 1 hots 1 blank

This sound right?

Technically you could get 120V to your Coolmate the way you describe, but then you won't have a true ground path should a short occur. The ground wire should not be a current carrying conductor under normal operating circumstances, but if you use it to get a 120V potential difference (voltage) to your cooler, it then will carry current, which means that the ground wire inside your 221 will now be hot, and carrying current when it is not supposed to, something I would not recommend.

The 4-pin connector is a "dummy" I think they use it because a 3-pin connector is likely not common. Even in the DV unit, there is still only 3 wires: one ground (green) and two for voltage (black and white). The 4th pin is never used.

This is the pin out orientation on the plug as it is plugged into the machine:

On your machine, the B&W wires will carry 240V so you wouldn't be able to use them to your coolmate. To do it properly you need to run your coolmate off a dedicated 120V wire that is properly grounded (3-prong).
WeldingJunkie

Thanks Oscar That picture is perfect. I ordered a Invertig 221 cooler cord like the one you showed and i did some testing on the machine last night. The top left is ground (green) Top right is dead and the bottom two are both 120v legs.

So im going to cut the end of the cord, snip off the white and not use it. then add a 120v 3 prong plug to the end. I bought a IEC cord that the Invertig cord will plug right into, and run the Coolmate 1.3. however since the white is hot ill have no neutral and since the 220v Invertig only has a ground and two hots. I'm wondering if the top right is a neutral just not used or indeed dead, i cant find a pic inside the machine.

The Bottom line would be i wonder if just the black and green would be enough to run it safely with just 1 ground and 1 hot?

I wouldn't. I wouldn't want ground-isolated components (like the 221 case) to become energized as a result. But it's your machine.
WeldingJunkie

No you're right its just not worth it, I think im juts going to use a ICE cable and use a wireless remote to turn on the outlet. I wish i could find a switch to modify it to the front like the Coolmate 3 is. I def don't want to be calling Jeff saying i blew it up LOL
WeldingJunkie

Do you still have that leather torch cover>? i want to buy it if you do.

WeldingJunkie wrote:Do you still have that leather torch cover>? i want to buy it if you do.
I didnt see any interest so I put it on my 50ft water cooled stick welding lead. :D
WeldingJunkie

LOL i thought it looked familiar. ill have to go out and find one, Thanks for getting back to me. does the stick lead really work like that?

WeldingJunkie wrote:LOL i thought it looked familiar. ill have to go out and find one, Thanks for getting back to me. does the stick lead really work like that?
Yup, it actually does work. I'm running it off a 2nd cooler that I got from HTP that was a used/demo item, so I got it at a good price. That way I leave my 221 cooler alone for TIG.
WeldingJunkie

What are you running the stick off your HTP invertig 221 or your PP300? I would love to get a water cooled PP300 time to call Jeff LOL