Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sabre1
    Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 am

I'm trying to change the waveshape on my Dynasty 200 DX and have found the options on the machine itself don't match all the options identified in the Advanced Functions portion of the manual and specifically the Waveshape option "SEL" does not appear on the display at all. In checking Miller's website, all I found were references to (Miller) links about changing the shape on other machines, but those links don't appear to provide that info now - this is in the 2010 to 2013 time frame. Can anyone point me to where to find the info or just give me the steps?

If it helps, my advanced functions on the machine are: tun, rt, Ac, Pre, SPD, OC, Stc, Loc, PL5, EPc. Only 6 of these 10 are mentioned in the manual and the one I'm looking for is SEL, which is in the manual.

If there are any books or guides that cover what these options mean that would be helpful too.

Thank you in advance.

-Jim
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It all depends upon the age of your 200. Older units do not have the full range of waveforms available, despite the button on the front. Do you know the date of manufacture for yours?
sabre1

cj737,

I looked and didn't see any tag that provided a manufacturing date; the manual that came with the unit (purchased new) has a copyright 2012 date on it. This manual also has the info indicating the triangle wave pattern.

I think I will try calling Miller tomorrow and see what they say about it, I do have the serial number handy so that should help.

Thank you for your help.

-Jim
sabre1

I had a long chat with one of the Miller tech reps and he was VERY helpful. It turns out the the manual called out the incorrect code for the the Waveforms - it IS "Ac" in the advanced function menu, not SEL as the manual indicates. Also found out that apparently my reset to default settings isn't working! Will need to go through this procedure again to confirm however. Again, very pleased with their support.

ALSO, a real person answered the phone when I called; how often does that happen when you call a big company?

-Jim
WeldingJunkie
    Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Here is the serial chart Jim, check the date of your machine. If you hot the amp and gas button get into the settings and you'll see them there unless your machine was made after 2008. If its older than that im sorry to say you don't have it or the blue lightning arc start. im not sure what the button on the front CJ is referring too. The wave forms arent on the front panel only the Miller 350/400/700/800 have that.

DYNASTY 200's at Serial #LJ280222L in Mid 2008

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/serial-number-chart
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

WeldingJunkie wrote: im not sure what the button on the front CJ is referring too. The wave forms arent on the front panel only the Miller 350/400/700/800 have that.
I am referring to the button on the lowest right corner of the front panel. My counsel was to not become confused by it, despite it's description as "AC Waveshape".
Attachments
IMG_3334.jpg
IMG_3334.jpg (79.82 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
sabre1

My unit is a 2013 model according to the serial number and what the Miller rep told me.

The manual does cover what needs to be done to access the waveshape function, though in my case the code for the AC function was different than what the manual specified. One point worth adding after mentioning the manual - I previously mentioned having trouble resetting the machine to its original factory parameters. The manual does specify that you need to hold the 3 buttons down until the machine has completed its boot-up (software version clears). I didn't do this at first - just pressed all three quickly. AFTER reading the manual to learn that particular detail, it worked.

-Jim