Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
W8AT
    Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Hey guys, The big brown truck dropped off a new 255 EXT this morning and finally got to run a few beads. First four beads on 1/8 plate. Top to bottom: #1 no filler; #2-#4 1/16 4043, 80 amps, 120 hz, 30% clean, 15 CFH. Be critical guys, I know the first one washed the edge a bit, and the last one on the right I think I went to fast bead is really flat.
first tig.jpeg
first tig.jpeg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 602 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Actually they look pretty darn good for first welds.

Things to bear in mind:
Ally soaks up a lot of heat while running stringers. Let it cool or quench it for practice.
Travel speed and filler consistency come with practice. These two things also contribute to even bead spacing and size.

I like to take a flat piece, scribe two parallel lines about 1/8” wide or so, then run stringers between them. I add filler until the puddle grows to the lines and sinks in. Helps with getting the puddle control down. You can always push the puddle ahead to move filler if you over fill. And watch the edges to makes sure you’re getting the puddle to burn in, and not “humping up” due to lack of heat.
W8AT
    Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:23 pm

I messed up my description. It should have said bottom to top. Thanks CJ for the tips, I'll give it a try.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I also would encourage you to jump up to a 3/32 tungsten. With ally, you’ll use lots more heat than you expect, and a larger tungsten helps.