Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
5vzfehilux
    Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 am

Hi,

My machine is the cheaper style fixed frequency at 60hz.

I've seen increasing the hz to around 120 makes the arc much more focused and easier to run tidy fillets vs lower frequencies where the toes melt faster than the root. Obviously not an option for me. One suggestion for getting around this problem is sharpening the tungsten which works a bit. I'm asking if anyone regularly lays fillets with a fixed frequency machine and has success and any tips to pass on.
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Not really worth worrying about IMO. Plenty of great work has been done, and continues to be done, using 60Hz AC welding.

FWIW, if you want a focussed, more narrow arc, a blunter point on your tungsten will work better than a sharp point. Counterintuitive, maybe, but true:

Of course, if you're trying to poke the tungsten down into a deep narrow groove or corner to get the root, you'll need to sharpen it to keep the arc from wandering to the corners of a square-ground tungsten but...
ESENTI
    Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 am

Actually was the idea to buy a better machine with pulse and the rest of goodies,after plying around I ended up to using 60Hz.