Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
vdotmatrix
    Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi,
I am looking for any fellow owners of this tig box who can shed some light on its operation.

I was looking at the woefully written user manual for this TIG machine and I cannot tell if the AC balance adds NEGATIVE or adds cleaning when the knob is turned.

The literature is not clear to me and I cannot determine if it is labeled in a cryptic manner that I cannot decipher.
Last edited by vdotmatrix on Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You want to be between 25-35%.
vdotmatrix

cj737 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:48 pm You want to be between 25-35%.
thank you for responding. I am looking for a different answer.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Just play with it to figure which way it's going.

Set it in the center and see what happens. Jack it one way and see what happens.

One way you should see next to no cleaning if not zero cleaning action on ally.

The other way you'll see an exploding tungsten that can't handle the cleaning aide of the arc.

Then you'll know which way is neg and which way is positive

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

as above, just crank it hard over to one side. one way will be minimal cleaning, the other melts your tungsten. not hard to work out.
better to do that than try and understand the manual, as many welder manual describe it differently than others, and dials are marked differently, so its a confusing mess.
tweak it until it breaks
vdotmatrix

(EP)-ELECTRODE POSITIVE A/C Balance knob for AHP-201

Thanks yall.
cj737

vdotmatrix wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:18 pm
I know what you wanted someone to tell you, but providing you the range of the cleaning action SHOULD answer your question if you think about it.

There’s little value in knowing only what you have been taught versus knowing what you have learned for yourself.
vdotmatrix

cj737 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:36 am
I know what you wanted someone to tell you, but providing you the range of the cleaning action SHOULD answer your question if you think about it.

There’s little value in knowing only what you have been taught versus knowing what you have learned for yourself.
Thanks for that, I appreciate what you are saying. I was just trying to label the knob so it made more sense to me for next time, especially if one uses different machines. Like someone mentioned, machines are either negative (miller, lincoln?) or positive reference machines for A/C balance. I agree with you on the value of empirica, but I mostly wanted to know how to label the freakin knob. One might think it impractical to get behind the wheel of a car or airplane before knowing what the pedals or levers are used for, but that’s just me. Thanks for responding.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

cj737 wrote:

I'll second that mindset.

A welder who can figure out and setup a machine to weld is worth 10x more than a welder who can only lay a bead once someone else sets the machine or by following weld procedure documents done up by their supervisor.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

vdotmatrix

Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips. i wasn’t looking for a welding lesson just trying to get an answer as in the OP from someone who also owns this machine. happy new year. unsubscribed … cheers
cj737

vdotmatrix wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:49 am One might think it impractical to get behind the wheel of a car or airplane before knowing what the pedals or levers are used for, but that’s just me. Thanks for responding.
I had to go out and look just to make sure, but none of the pedals in my car are labeled. They are simply located in a particular orientation and size/shape as to their function. You know, tall skinny makes the car go vroom! The wide, short pedal makes the car stop. Other than that, I don’t know how much more I need to know?

Same is true on all my motorcycles. No labels anywhere to be found… ;)