Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Anyone youse this tungsten grinder? How do some of you guys sharpen your tungsten?
How should a guy sharpen tungsten?
Lets beat this horse again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIG-Welder-Tung ... 20b393bc65
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

John,
I do not have a tungsten grinder or use one. I use a bench grinder for almost all my tungsten grinding. Someday maybe I will pick up a tungsten grinder. I ALWAYS sharpen with the striations following the length of the rod. I also always sharper to a point, with varying tapers.
Here is a wheel I think will work out very well/cheaper alternative.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zxua79twU
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

I bought a Piranha electrode grinder for use in my team's welding shop last year. Although I am a novice TIG welder, I have been buying a lot of new equipment for our welding shop. i am working hard at getting rid of some bad practices and myths about TIG welding. At home I have a 6" dia. bench grinder with a medium and fine wheels dedicated for electrode sharpening only. Usually I bring in a bunch of electrodes from home and sharpen them on the Piranha grinder.

I just got a guidebook for tungsten electrode prep from DWP, got it with the free sample electrode I ordered. It has a wealth of information specifying the angle of the electrode taper and dia. of the flat on the electrode tip for various applications. I do beleive using electrodes with these specs will make a difference but to achieve those specs you will need some dedicated equipment. For example, acheiving a 0.030" dia flat on the end of the electrode, i can't see that being done by hand.

Jim
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

I am probably going to buy one of those diamond wheels from McMaster Carr. I am thinking I will buy the 320 grit wheel. I'll use the medium gring stone on my grinder to rough cut the taper then finish it using the 320 grit diamond wheel. My grinder has a 5/8" dia. shaft so I'll have to make an arbor to adapt the 1.25" hole in the diamond wheel to the 5/8" dia. shaft. Another lathe project.

Jim
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

At work piranha III, at home I gave a harbor freight saw blade sharpener with diamond wheel that I removed all the guards from. With sale a d coupon it was $30
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

NYWELDERJim wrote: For example, acheiving a 0.030" dia flat on the end of the electrode, i can't see that being done by hand.

Jim
sure it can. You just need to make some measurements and use math. 8-)
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Math? Measurements?

.030" is about two thumbnail thicknesses :D

...your results may vary...
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Are US thumbnails thinner ? I always reckoned mine about 25thou - it's the standard farmers spark plug gaping tool ( if they're not chewed down or tore up ! )

Seriously - all this science on sharpening - I think even the guru mentioned "best practice" for code work & that no one actually does it - hardly surprising looking at the cost of the dedicated grinders - how can they be so expensive & why have'nt the Chinese made any cheaply ? it's not rocket science .
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah, the tungsten sharpening debates are overdone, in my opinion.

Some of my welds are under ASME code, and I don't fuss over sharpening. I use a bench grinder, and it's not even "dedicated". It gets used for lots of other things. For Thoriated, I like a long taper and a needle-sharp point for a root pass, but if it degrades as I use it, I don't get in any hurry to sharpen it, since I'm usually welding above 40A with a 3/32. For pure, I'll just knock the sharp edge off, and go.

I suppose while learning TIG, one should keep "best practice", so the tungsten is one less variable in the learning curve, but with experience, the condition of the tungsten is less critical.

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I have helped a few people get started welding where they've bought a cheap nasty import welder & struggled initially - & all of them suffered with extremely bad arc wander on AC if the grit size when grinding tungsten was too coarse - I don't think the better makes do it anything like as badly - but it's something that can create an extra problem - also some cheap tungsten can create weird effects.

noddybrian wrote:Are US thumbnails thinner ? I always reckoned mine about 25thou - it's the standard farmers spark plug gaping tool ( if they're not chewed down or tore up ! )
Depends on the age of the farmer - lol :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Svetsare
    Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:54 am

I use grinder with a normal cutting blade, that thing is always next to you when you weld. ;)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:Math? Measurements?

.030" is about two thumbnail thicknesses :D

...your results may vary...
lol...while that may be true, my fingernails are too curved---that's just how they are, so it'd be difficult to use them as a "gauge". Not only that, they are slightly pointed due to me playing a lot of classical guitar lately, so that'd be a no-go for me, lol :mrgreen:

But all kidding aside, one could setup a quick-n-dirty jig to hold the tungsten,and attach one of those angle-finders that has a magnetic base to get the sharpening angle dialed in very accurately.

AKweldshop wrote:Anyone youse this tungsten grinder? How do some of you guys sharpen your tungsten?

Do any of you guys have this grinder?
I was looking at them because they are rather affordable, and seem to be good quality.
anybody use them?

~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
coldman
  • coldman

Hi John,
there are a few brands around that all look the same as your pic. I got mine from Arc-Zone because they could supply one with 240V 50Hz motor for Ozzie power. Had it for about a year now, works great and use it all the time. Still on the original wheel. I make sure I keep a couple of packets of electrodes sharp at the end of the day so the next day I know I won't run out whatever happens. I bought the cheaper fixed 20* angle head, I find you can manipulate the angle a little anyway with a wiggle.
Reasons for purchase:
-I don't like grooving up my bench grinder.
-Never was happy with the tip after using angle grinder. The guys I work with use the angle grinder only and don't give a rats what the electrodes look like. They just say man up and keep welding bro - perfect x-ray welds every time.
-I am a sucker for new technology and tools.
- I can afford it. (My wife does not let me go out boozing any more and I sold my boat a while back because I spend too much time on the job!)
Cheers!
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

AKweldshop wrote:
Anyone youse this tungsten grinder? How do some of you guys sharpen your tungsten?

AKweldshop,

I changed the way that I prepare tungsten, lately I have been using my Belt Grinder with a Norton Zirconia belt. This method worked, but I used one $9 belt in one 4 hour welding session. Tungsten is hard!!!!!!

I decided to grind with a hand held tungsten grinder. I purchased a Sharpie from Arc-Zone. (The Sharpie, HTP, and TechSouth are all the same, just a different label, in fact, TechSouth makes the grinding head on the grinder for all three sellers.) This was nearly the lowest cost grinder that Arc-Zone sells, so I thought the quality would go according to the price, but I was pleasantly surprised. The motor has three speeds (can't remember the exact speeds, but it is around 30,000/14,000/3,000) I used the lowest speed to keep the heat down. The motor housing is ergonomic with rubberized sections around the circumference of the motor housing. Switch has a protection lever that prevents the motor from being turned on while adjustments are being made. The design of the grinding head is very nice, just spending a few minutes with the unit and you will understand how to use it. The motor runs smooth and the feel of the bearings is tight.

Since I tried fine grinding wheels, a flap disc on a 4-1/2" angle grinder, then for my final experiment I used my KMG Belt Grinder. The Belt Grinder worked the best, using both slack-belt and contact wheel grinding. All of these worked, but I was after angle repeatability that I could not achieve via the methods stated above. I knew that to narrow the arc I must grind between 25 and 45 degrees (included), this is where the hand held tungsten grinder proved to be a better tool, and the price was fairly low at $349, including the optional 0.040" collet. I also purchased 2 fine diamond grinding wheels for $80.

Something else to think about is there is very little disturbance of my welding position, since with this type of grinding system I can sit at my TIG bench to both weld and grind my tungsten electrodes.

This is what I decided to do, if you need more info let me know. 8-)
WOB
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12

Wobulate wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:

Quoted from Wobulate,
....... I knew that to narrow the arc I must grind between 25 and 45 degrees (included)....
Here are a few pics for the discussion of what each included angle does.

A long thin grind does not narrow the arc - but the arc sure starts nice at low amps that way.
For higher amps I grind a blunter tip.
image.jpg
image.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.81 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Wobulate wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:

AKweldshop,

I changed the way that I prepare tungsten, lately I have been using my Belt Grinder with a Norton Zirconia belt. This method worked, but I used one $9 belt in one 4 hour welding session. Tungsten is hard!!!!!!

I decided to grind with a hand held tungsten grinder. I purchased a Sharpie from Arc-Zone. (The Sharpie, HTP, and TechSouth are all the same, just a different label, in fact, TechSouth makes the grinding head on the grinder for all three sellers.) This was nearly the lowest cost grinder that Arc-Zone sells, so I thought the quality would go according to the price, but I was pleasantly surprised. The motor has three speeds (can't remember the exact speeds, but it is around 30,000/14,000/3,000) I used the lowest speed to keep the heat down. The motor housing is ergonomic with rubberized sections around the circumference of the motor housing. Switch has a protection lever that prevents the motor from being turned on while adjustments are being made. The design of the grinding head is very nice, just spending a few minutes with the unit and you will understand how to use it. The motor runs smooth and the feel of the bearings is tight.

Since I tried fine grinding wheels, a flap disc on a 4-1/2" angle grinder, then for my final experiment I used my KMG Belt Grinder. The Belt Grinder worked the best, using both slack-belt and contact wheel grinding. All of these worked, but I was after angle repeatability that I could not achieve via the methods stated above. I knew that to narrow the arc I must grind between 25 and 45 degrees (included), this is where the hand held tungsten grinder proved to be a better tool, and the price was fairly low at $349, including the optional 0.040" collet. I also purchased 2 fine diamond grinding wheels for $80.

Something else to think about is there is very little disturbance of my welding position, since with this type of grinding system I can sit at my TIG bench to both weld and grind my tungsten electrodes.

WOB
here's the grinder I'm looking at getting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140451757157?ss ... 1423.l2649
here's the wheels for them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131067422415?ss ... 1423.l2649
what do you think?
~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Wes917

AKweldshop wrote:
Wobulate wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:

AKweldshop,

WOB
R
here's the grinder I'm looking at getting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140451757157?ss ... 1423.l2649
here's the wheels for them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131067422415?ss ... 1423.l2649
what do you think?
~John

There was one on the shelf at my last job. I asked why noone used it and the consensus was it sucked. I never tried it as the piranha was right next to my booth. So no first hand experience but that was the opinion I was given.
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Been thinking about getting one of these sharpeners. The only way to do it on a bench grinder (the way i currently do it) is to take all the guards off. I weld out in the field and don't particularly like dealing with the OSHA Nazis so i think this may be my best bet. I've done it with an angle grinder but can't get them as sharp as i like. My question is, how long do the diamond wheels last on them?
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

AKweldshop / Wes917,
That grinder depicted in the EBAY link is similar to the grinder I purchased from Arc-Zone, with the exception that I purchased the Deluxe Model (Sharpie DX Pro-Kit).

I also purchased the optional 0.040" collect and two high performance fine diamond discs.
So, I paid around $349 for the Sharpie DX Pro-Kit with the optional collet, then added two additional discs at $40 each.
By the way, the discs are coated on both sides, and you can move the position on the disc surface so you achieve maximum use of the diamond disc. The Sharpie will sharpen 1/8, 3/32, 1/16, and 0.040" tungsten electrodes.

I am happy with my purchase 8-) , now if I could just stop dunking the tungsten in the puddle I would not have to sharpen so often.
The Sharpie works well . There is another hand held grinder I was looking at, I think it was from DG, but the price was around $700.

WOB
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
Wes917

Wobulate wrote:AKweldshop / Wes917,
That grinder depicted in the EBAY link is similar to the grinder I purchased from Arc-Zone, with the exception that I purchased the Deluxe Model (Sharpie DX Pro-Kit).

I also purchased the optional 0.040" collect and two high performance fine diamond discs.
So, I paid around $349 for the Sharpie DX Pro-Kit with the optional collet, then added two additional discs at $40 each.
By the way, the discs are coated on both sides, and you can move the position on the disc surface so you achieve maximum use of the diamond disc. The Sharpie will sharpen 1/8, 3/32, 1/16, and 0.040" tungsten electrodes.

I am happy with my purchase 8-) , now if I could just stop dunking the tungsten in the puddle I would not have to sharpen so often.
The Sharpie works well . There is another hand held grinder I was looking at, I think it was from DG, but the price was around $700.

WOB
I am glad you like it. Since I never used the one they had I can't comment on it. At home I use this with the guards removed. I am looking at making a piece with a compass attached and a guide block for each size tungsten
http://m.harborfreight.com/120-volt-cir ... 96687.html
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Can't afford a 300.00 grinder, so here is mine. Collets are a buck each, just switch sizes, quick adjust for angle
grinder.jpg
grinder.jpg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff

ljdm1956 wrote:Can't afford a 300.00 grinder, so here is mine. Collets are a buck each, just switch sizes, quick adjust for angle
grinder.jpg

Genius!!!
Welcome to the show.
I love your idea.
I'll haft to try it.
Thanks mate.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I would have to say that is brilliant! Now everyone will be trying it.
-Jonathan