Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Chrisjw1983
    Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Can anyone recommend a method of cleaning the heat marks off a stainless TIG weld by hand rather than machine? I'm firstly new to TIG but following the videos and learning, and secondly a hobbyist so don't have the money for another machine right now. Got a project I want to do but don't want to just a wire wheel the Joints and mark the metal.

Thanks for any help you can provide... First post on here.
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

If you have a drill, you can chuck up a dowel that has a cut the long way down the dowel. In the slit, put a length of rag into it and wrap it flat around the dowel. Inexpensive polishing compound can be had at the local hardware store.
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Immediately after you complete the weld use a stainless steel wire brush to brush off the heat tint. It's much more difficult to do when the piece is cool.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You won't mark the metal if you get a wheel for your die-grinder that's .006" fine, rather than a coarse-as-hell wire wheel for your electric grinder.

There are "passivating solutions" that can do this chemically, but it's a lot of bother, when a soft/fine wire wheel will dress it just fine.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Chrisjw1983,
If you do use a wire wheel on a die grinder or drill, make sure it is SS or you will impregnate carbon into your welds causing them to rust down the road.
-Jonathan
Chrisjw1983
    Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Brilliant! Will get me a stainless fine wire wheel and hand brush and give that a crack. Thanks for the information guys!

The fabric wrapped around dowel is something I hadn't thought of for this. Will have a play and see how it goes.

I've watched the video for Pick & Clean and that looks very simple and effective but I'd be worried if didn't on a marketing video... Any real world feedback? It doesn't look too messy for a chemical based approach.