Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
joshuanaaa
    Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 am

Im about to start tig welding two inch sockets at work. Er70s2 wire. What kind of set up do you guys run to make sure theres no concavity and im filling the socket up properly. A qc will inspect them with a gage. Schedule 80 pipe.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm assuming your qualified if this is pressure based piping. Make sure you properly gap the fitting, it shouldn't be bottomed out, usually I use about .060-.080" ASME b31.3 calls out 1/16" pull back before welding(some guys use rings,depending on your specs, wps etc) the fillet should be as thick as your material, make sure you have proper penetration and push the rod in, I walk the cup if I have room.

What type of joint configuration will you be doing?
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
joshuanaaa
    Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 am

Joint configuration? Its a socket weld. Do you put 2 passes of 1/8 or 2 passes of 1/8 and a 3/32?
Rick_H

joshuanaaa wrote:Joint configuration? Its a socket weld. Do you put 2 passes of 1/8 or 2 passes of 1/8 and a 3/32?
Flanges can fall under a different code and specs...that was my joint configuration. I've done both as far as filler depending on joint and design/drawing.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

2" shed 80 is 0.22" wall thickness. I would use 3/32" wire. Two runs would do it. If you want to make certain do a triple run fillet (stringers).
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

a 2in.sch.80 pipe has a nominal wall thickness of .218in.,Depending on the end use, and pressure, the min.weld size would be Tx2T, T being the wall thickness, and 2T would be twice the wall thickness. or, .218in.x.436in. the pullout should be aprox. 1/16 in.( this eliminates stress on the completed weld). I would use 1/16 in. filler wire, and use a minimum of two layers,( root and cover pass with a min. of Tx2T). If you have concavity , that means you have burn through on the wall of the pipe, and this would, or could be a condition for a reject. ask you inspector before starting test, the required requirements....I wouldn't recommend walking the cup, less control and increased chance of burn through,and lack of fusion. ( my preference)......... good luck, and hope you can use some of this info.....Ron
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I respectfully disagree. For a 2" sched80 socket weld joint, the amps required and size of fillet means the feed in rate for 1/16" wire is fast and also increasing possibility of silicon inclusion. Of course it can be done, I just think 3/32" is a better choice for this joint.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Unless 1/16" is stated in the WPS, I would personally use 3/32" on that wall thickness. YMMV.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Rick_H

Coldman wrote:I respectfully disagree. For a 2" sched80 socket weld joint, the amps required and size of fillet means the feed in rate for 1/16" wire is fast and also increasing possibility of silicon inclusion. Of course it can be done, I just think 3/32" is a better choice for this joint.
agreed...3/32" is the best choice IMO.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'm also on the 3/32" bus.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For 2" sch. 80 sockets in SS, for code work, my preference would actually be to use 1/16 for the root, so you can clearly see it go in, then cap with 1/8, in a simple lay-wire and walk. As long as you're not sparing with the root, 1/8" lay-wire will give you a weld with the correct throat.

Experiment, though... Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,
I agree with you on stainless and do them just as you've stated, but on Carbon I use 3/32".

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
steeldr.
    Thu May 15, 2014 2:44 am

I don't disagree that 3/32 in.is a good choice for the size of the filler wire,but,1/16in. is also a correct choice.Being new at welding, 1/16 in. could also be a correct choice.....ron