Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

A number of Jody's videos feature an aluminum chill block, acting as heat sink, argon trap, etc. I just bought a 6061 1.5" square chill block on ebay, for about $8 including freight. Where do you get yours, and for how much?

A friend asked if I could weld a project for him, and having a chill block on hand will be a good idea, so I just made it happen with this ebay seller. I figured after scrap weight, the immediacy of having it now, chasing out to my supplier on the other side of the county, and free shipping, $8 was fair enough.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
glassTransition
    Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:02 pm

I have gotten aluminum off-cuts from my local metal supplier and only paid scrap prices of $2/pound. They let me sort through the bin and pick whatever I wanted.

Dave, don't know where you're located but I'm lucky to live near an Alro Metals outlet that will cut to size what I need, or I can rifle thru their "drop" and buy that way.

There is also Online Metals, and Speedy Metals that will cut, depending on what you need their prices may be good, or not. I do know with Online Metals if you signup for their email list you'll always get discount codes
Richard
Website
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

It comes from years of hoarding and taking scraps on jobs. Get fired, take those company issued resources that you "left" in your gang box and take it to the next job.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I'm outside Washington DC, and there's just not a ton of machine shops and metals suppliers. They exist but they're a long drive off- we're always in the top 10 for "cities with worst traffic", and it's tough to get there during store hours.

I get Online Metals' coupons, and checked their price for a drop- Ebay was cheaper. I need to stop by a metals supplier so I'll check out their drops bin. That's always fun, but in the past I've run into "can't wander around because of insurance regs" rule.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
glassTransition
    Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:02 pm

There is a franchised metal supplier in Beltsville (I'm not sure if it's ok to mention businesses by name on the forum). They have another location in Baltimore. I've gotten drops from the Baltimore location and I bet they'd help you out in Beltsville.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Funny you should ask that question. I was asking several other welders what they thought about Superior selling certain sizes of alum, copper and brass as chill blocks. Large steel supply companies generally won't sell to the public and I have heard more than once the complaint that welders in certain areas just can't source things locally. Maybe I should proceed with that idea.
Jonathan
Aaron@6061.com
    Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:16 am

(1)Cheapest- scrap bin at a local fab shop
(2)Easier- search ebay for "aluminum block"
(3)Get the exact size you need- order at www.onlinemetals.com or any other online metal supplier. You can specify exactly what size you need before ordering. It will cost more, but will likely be worth it in the long run.