mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, I got myself a Bobcat 250.  I got myself an AHP tig welder.  NOW, I am getting a mig welder.  I will do so in June.

I have taught myself to weld.  I am surprised at the fact that I could.  haha  I had a brain injury in 03.  It feels good to know my mind still works.  ANYWAY, I see the difference between the 907321 and the 907322, is the volts.  One having 208/230, while the other has 230/460/575.

As I said, I am teaching myself.  I am 33.  Never had any interest in tools or stuff like that.  I just got a $50 welder from Amazon a few years ago and I don't know.  I was drawn into a world that I loved.  

So, with the noob thing in mind, what does the volt difference mean?

I would think it meant a different in metal one can weld?

I have my Bobcat for the power.  haha  So, I am good there.

I am going to Fabtech in November.  I guess I should wait and check it out there.  But, it's not like they will have it cheaper.  Then, I would have to pay to have it shipped to me.  My mom and I are driving there.  haha  12 hours of fun.  LOLOL
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Glowzinski wrote:Ok, I got myself a Bobcat 250.  I got myself an AHP tig welder.  NOW, I am getting a mig welder.  I will do so in June.

I have taught myself to weld.  I am surprised at the fact that I could.  haha  I had a brain injury in 03.  It feels good to know my mind still works.  ANYWAY, I see the difference between the 907321 and the 907322, is the volts.  One having 208/230, while the other has 230/460/575.

As I said, I am teaching myself.  I am 33.  Never had any interest in tools or stuff like that.  I just got a $50 welder from Amazon a few years ago and I don't know.  I was drawn into a world that I loved.  

So, with the noob thing in mind, what does the volt difference mean?

I would think it meant a different in metal one can weld?

I have my Bobcat for the power.  haha  So, I am good there.

I am going to Fabtech in November.  I guess I should wait and check it out there.  But, it's not like they will have it cheaper.  Then, I would have to pay to have it shipped to me.  My mom and I are driving there.  haha  12 hours of fun.  LOLOL
You got me confused, you have the AHP, which is Tig and Stick, you have the Bobcat, which is Mig and Stick, and you say you are getting a Mig in June, so you have all processes covered, it seems. Unless you are getting multiple Mig or Stick machines, but anyway, the difference between 907321 and the 907322, is not just the volts. One having 208/230 single phase, while the other 230/460/575 unit is a 3 phase machine. Most residential is single phase, 3 phase is usually commercial service.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I believe they are both single phase welders. One allows you to operate off of 2 legs of a three phase circuit (the 208v machine). But according to the specs I read, both should be able to operate off of standard household 240 volt single phase input. I would say get whichever one you can find at a lower cost.
Multimatic 255
Glowzinski

Yes, haha the Bobcat can do mig and tig. But, I need expensive stuff to do either. So I believe.

I use the Bobcat for stick and as a generator.

The APH tig, I use for tig.

Someone once told me, it would be better to get different machines. Thus, putting less stress on the Bobcat.
Glowzinski

So, I was looking at the suitcase things. They would save me space. The things are more than the Millermatic though. haha

Can I weld the same thickness metal, with a suitcase, as I can with the Millermatic? I see they have like six of them.
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Glowzinski wrote:So, I was looking at the suitcase things. They would save me space. The things are more than the Millermatic though. haha

Can I weld the same thickness metal, with a suitcase, as I can with the Millermatic? I see they have like six of them.

OK, I'll admit it, your post has me more confused than trying to translate Aussie to American Standard English in my head in real time.

A Bobcat is fully capable of running stick or Heliarc out of the box and which process it runs is only a matter of what's connected, a TIG torch or a stinger. It's pretty routine to see a gasblock clamped in a stinger with an Argon tank sitting next to where the weld is being made.

What the hell are you calling a "suitcase thing? Are you referring to a portable wire feeder drive unit?
Since I see you list your occupation as Hippie, combining that with your expressed attitude in this post, I have my doubts you can weld anything.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Glowzinski has challenges he’s already made clear. Despite those challenges he has posted previous pictures of his successful work.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Glowzinski

HAH Well, as I said, I am teaching myself all of this stuff.

I thought, to mig or tig weld, with a Bobcat, I needed additional stuff. I may be a moron, but I know there is not a wire feeder with my Bobcat. haha

hmmm

Now I'M confused. haha

Time to Google.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I have a Bobcat. I have used it as a stick welder, and a generator. I have a Millermatic 252 I use as a MIG, flux core, Dualshield, and I have a spool gun for aluminum MIG, which I haven't used. TIG I do with a Dynasty.

My sense is that Bobcat is less than ideal as a TIG, and needs expensive suitcase feeder to MIG.

I have no experience with the AHP you speak of.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Glowzinski wrote:So, I was looking at the suitcase things. They would save me space. The things are more than the Millermatic though. haha

Yes, the "suitcase" machines are portable wire feed "MIG" machines. They are generally capable of much higher amperage than a standard household box. They can be run with hard wire (typical MIG), Flux Core, Dual Shield, or aluminum (you'll typically change the liner for aluminum).

Your Bobcat can serve as a power source for a portable MIG box, a suitcase, or a separate AC/DC TIG box. You can Stick or DC TIG with your Bobcat, you just need an argon tank, a TIG cable, and usually a gas valve on your torch (manual flow control for TIG). Or, you can use the Alpha for TIG. You can also add a spool gun to your Bobcat to aluminum MIG weld if you want to be truly "portable" and cover all processes.

Regarding the differences in the 2 MIG boxes, the 208/230 box is the one I'd choose. You'll likely never need true 3 phase power (460/575) with the work you do. And, you always have the Bobcat if you need onsite power service.

Hope that helps-
Glowzinski

Indeed it does. Thank you for the info.
Glowzinski

Well, now I am even more confused.

This is what Miller said.

If you are planning on connecting this Feeder or MIG Welder to the output of your Bobcat 250 you options are limited considering you list of options. The Bobcat 250 does not have a 14 pin remote connection so none of the feeders listed can be used. The Bobcat 250 does not have ArcReach either so you would be purchasing a feeder you would not be able to use the ArcReach on.

We do not recommend running the Millermatic 250 on a generator because the generators cannot keep up the the peak current draw needed to start the arc.

haha So, if I don't use a generator to power the thing, how the shit am I supposed to power it? No way I have the power to run the thing outside. So, as it is, i either use my Bobcat to power the thing or nothing.
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Bobcat was nevver designed to power a feeder, it's a single Ø alternator with a single set of windings so you're at best limited to a small number of feeders the Bobcat can power.
This doesn't mean there aren't workarounds, especially if the feeder is 120 volt ac powered.

When ITW realized they screwed up the design and hurt possible sales, ITW redesigned the alternator end and called the new machine Trailblazer. The main alternator is 3Ø and the barrel contains a second set of windings to deliver AC power in just about any voltage and phase arrangement you order. Trailblazer is a fine power source for MIG suitcase feeders. Some feeders can be pure hell to get working with a Trailblazer though, especially if you want the machine to idle when it isn't welding.
Anarchy61187
    Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:45 am

Fleabay and Craigslist is your best bet to find a used suitcase wire feeder. I see the miller 8vs all the time on eBay reasonably priced and they move quick.
They also make a 12vs but obviously more $$.
The vs stands for voltage sensing, has it's own contactor, doesn't require the 14pin remote hookup, and will work with a bobcat. Maybe a cheaper option and you wouldn't need to run 2 machines at once. Just my 2cents
Shopmaster 300
Hf 251 PC300 Wp-17 torch
S22p
Airco wasp IIIe
Aead 200le blue charge
Spectrum 3080 50 foot torch
A few grinders
A couple O/A torches
Glowzinski

Yes, that makes sense.

I got this from miller today.

BOBCAT 250 (KOHLER) W/ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

The link for the current Spec sheet I gave you is still accurate so please check it out.

If you are looking for a Suitcase type feeder where you use the welding output of the Bobcat (not the auxiliary 240 volt outlet) you could use the 951582 SuitCase® X-TREME™ 8VS Wire Feeder or the 951543 SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS Wire Feeder. These feeders come with guns for gas shielded wire and drive rolls. There is an option for this feeder with a flux core gun.
Here is a link to the website: https://www.millerwelds.com/accessories ... der-m00184
Here is a link to the Spec Sheet: https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/mil ... /m6-42.pdf

If you are looking for a machine to plug into the auxiliary power (115 volt or 230 volt) you could use the 907614 Millermatic® 211 or the 907405 Millermatic® 212 Auto-Set™.

We do not recommend running the Millermatic 250 on a generator because the generators cannot keep up with the peak current draw needed to start the arc. If you need this much welding power I would recommend purchasing a SuitCase® X-TREME™ 8 or 12 VS wire feeder.
Bill Beauregard

I have used the Millermatic 252 with the Bobcat 250 (2006 vintage with Onan engine) I'll admit that I was not at peak output, but it worked fine for an off grid welding project. Other plug in welders will make more efficient use of limited power output. Inverter welders need less power.
Where are you that you don't have access to utility power?
Willie
Glowzinski

Well, I live in Glen Burnie Maryland. Houses all over the place. haha I have all my stuff out in my shed. The power that is in the shed, is from our house. So, at most, I have 110. That being said, there are a lot of things running in our house. haha TVs, ovens and what not.

I am new to all this. But, I don't think I can run stuff that takes a lot of power out there.
Bill Beauregard

Yes you can. Installation is less than you paid for a Bobcat, even if it was ten years old. I do it often.

I'm in VT, but there are people all over your state able to do it.

Willie
Glowzinski

Interesting. My mom and step dad pay for all the power stuff. haha I offered to split the price of everything with them. But, nope. However, I would be very interested in getting, and, not to sound like Tim the tool man Taylor, but, more power.

Yes, you've gotten into my head.

Ideally, I would have our house solar powered. I offered to get solar panels for our house. But, my step father said ti is to hard cleaning them. I mean, care about the planet much?

My Bobcat, I just got it like 3 years ago. Brand new from Cyberweld.
Bill Beauregard

Use it, enjoy it. You might prefer an inverter machine plugged into it. It runs a MM252 under moderate load, or a Dynasty 280 under full load. Bobcat is a pretty good stick welder.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I have a Bobcat 225nt from the 90's.

I use it for stick welding and DC tig welding. It does both very well.

DC tig only requires a tig torch, regulator and argon tank.

I also run the older equivalent to the Miller 12vs wire feeder.

It's the Miller super s-32p.

It runs that very well too.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Glowzinski

So, alright, let us say I can not get the power here. I thought before, I was told we could not. What generator would run the Millermatic 252?

I was looking at Trailblazers.

See, I have not clue how to look at the amps. I mean, what to add up to see what it would take to run it.

If my fat 33 year old ass has to, I will just buy a freaking Trailblazer and put my Bobcat in an indoor storage place. I mean, I have to do what I have to do.

What the guy above this said, is interesting. That is why forums are great. I thank all that respond.
Glowzinski

I wish I knew a place around me, that would let me work there. Like, not getting paid, just use their show with my stuff. That would be amazing.

My dads old boss, actually, I believe the guy who found him dead, haha, may still have a shop. But, I mean, I would call and be like, hey dude, you found my daddy. Can I use your space?

Not sure how well that would work out.
Bill Beauregard

Be very careful. I haven't researched the subject. I believe Trailblazer is a two alternator machine. Each is part of what the engine can support.

If a weldor has a fitter, he welds while the fitter fits. I squeeze the trigger on a saw, or grinder while we use a Bobcat the arc is changed. Trailblazer has a separate alternator for power tools. I believe they are designed for 5000watts while the welder produces 10,000 watts.

I suspect a Trailblazer will be no better able to power a plug in welder than your Bobcat.

Find a local competent electrician, or give me a mountain of information. I firmly believe you would be best served using utility power.

Willie
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Mind if I ask a “qualifying” question? What work or project do you plan that necessitates a 252? Can you get all you want done with a lower voltage MIG box that will more happily run off a decent generator or your Bobcat? A lot of stuff has been welded by smaller MIG boxes, and lots of folks have used a Bobcat to run suitcases and TIG rigs and portable inverter-based welders.