mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

I struggle on where to put my gun between welds. If I set it flat on the table the weight of the hose pulls it off and it crashes to the floor. Not good. I tried using a magnet and welded a c-clamp to it to make a little tool holster, but the magnet wasn't quite strong enough. I am all for making something but I can't find any ideas out there to steal. What do you use and did you make it or buy it? Pics would be great.
Last edited by Josh MacD on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

I made my bench with a six foot by twelve inch grate on the front I can cut with gas or plasma and Sparks fall through my copper ground clamp sets in it a vice grip sets in it and my gun nozzle will store there while I work it also makes a nice grid of 90 degree angles to lay out work on Image
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Mike Westbrook wrote:I made my bench with a six foot by twelve inch grate on the front I can cut with gas or plasma and Sparks fall through my copper ground clamp sets in it a vice grip sets in it and my gun nozzle will store there while I work it also makes a nice grid of 90 degree angles to lay out work on Image
I hang my gun on a visgrip simple and closes to my work or when not use on the cart

Dave
theaceofgates
    Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 am

I have pieces of 1.25" pipe tacked all over my tables so I can rest the gun when not in use.
TheAceofGates.com
FB_TheAceofGates
...professional tip clogging, rod sticking tungsten dipper.
Josh MacD
    Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

theaceofgates wrote:I have pieces of 1.25" pipe tacked all over my tables so I can rest the gun when not in use.
I like this idea. Its simple and easy. I don't have a dedicated table yet, just a 3.5' x 3.5' sheet of 1/4" sheet steel I put on my workbench when its time to weld. But I'm hoping to have a small dedicated table soon. Until then I can tack a small angle iron piece to a pipe and clamp it to my table when needed.

Thanks.
Hobbyist MIG welder with 75/25 gas on a Lincoln SP-140 in my garage/workshop/gym/storage space. Very new and still learning.

"Service is the rent you pay for room on this earth" - Shirley Chisholm
theaceofgates
    Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:07 am

You will find it very convenient. The necks of my guns tend to get chewed up over time but not too big of a deal really.
TheAceofGates.com
FB_TheAceofGates
...professional tip clogging, rod sticking tungsten dipper.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I'm actually using one of the Harbor Freight MIG gun rest magnets, after someone here suggested it a couple of years back.

For my 20, it seems to work well.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm

This is what I use. Works good, and easily movable.
Attachments
iu.jpeg
iu.jpeg (30.45 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Lincoln 180C and other paraphernalia