mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
rprecision
    Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

I have a Everlast power Mig275S (275amp), running C25 gas. I have knurled rollers for .035 and .045.

I would like to get a roll of Dual Shield for some upcoming projects. I need to weld a lifting eye on a small backhoe bucket. I need to weld some hooks on a tractor bucket. And I need to do some general fab with some 1/4" box tubing for a equipment stand.

All of these jobs seem way better suited for DS vs. short circuit mig. I know stick welding with 7018 is also a viable option but I have no experience in stick welding.

What is a good product for my application? Between Lincoln and Esab there must be 20 different wire options. I'm not real clear what is best suited for a good general use.

With a realistic maximum material thickness of .375" (3/8"), most being .250" (1/4") what would be a better choice. 035 or .045?

I was debating going to a spray process, however the cost of 90/10 125 cu ft bottle is pushing 3-4 times the cost of a moderate roll of DS.

Again with no experience other then conventional mig, tig, my thought is DS would be a easy process to be successful with for my needs

I appreciate your suggestions as this is all new to me.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Just a standard Dual-shield 71t-1 wire will work for your application in my opinion. (note, that's not 71t-11)

Either .035" or .045" should work with the power you have available.

Check out this chart from Washington Alloy for their wire: http://weldingwire.com/Images/Interior/ ... /71t-1.pdf

Based on the power requirements, I chose .035" for my 210 amp machine.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.