mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
williejack
    Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 pm

George,with flux core ,i always use a regular ole' 12 shade nothing less should be able to see everything just fine.10 shade for regular hard wire nothing less.Unless your plazing,or cutting.If anybody could turn me on to a good site for the cool welding lenses that would be great!
bonchustown
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Thanks, willijack, I'll keep that in mind next time I weld :)
    Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:24 pm

I've been a welder/fabricator for 5 years now and i still to this day have trouble seeing MIG and especially flux core. What's funny is that I have NO trouble doing some micro tig work I get on a weekly basis that requires me to make a fusion weld on the bottom of a 2mm washer.

-groove out the joint to be welded
-keep your head in front of the weld puddle pulling it to you
-put a piece of angle (aluminum works well) right beside the joint you are welding. This reflects some additional light back to the work piece.
-its been stated already but KEEP YOUR LENSES CLEAN! welding with dirty lenses is like throwing mud all over your windshield and trying to drive at night with oncoming traffic.
bonchustown
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:35 pm

That's some excellent advice there MotherFluxxer - thanks for sharing! Some of those you mentioned I wouldn't think of or would forget.