mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Revocide
    Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:05 am

Hi guys

Seeking your input on this short video. This is me welding some square tubing frames with 0.8mm/ 0.032" E71T GS Cigweld Weldskill. The variables on this machine are minimal, a "synergically" adjusting setting that alters your volts and amps to suit.

https://youtu.be/6I59FmsgBNY

From about 1:09 to 1:24 is the worst of it. Sorry for not showing the end result.

Any clues to this odd behaviour

Revo
Last edited by Revocide on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

Would not load the vid.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Ditto. No vid
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Revocide

Sorry about that guys. original link updated.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - can you upload a video of what the actual weld pool is doing ? really not much can be judged from reading a digital readout fluctuate as they never remain constant even when everything is working fine - also is all that background noise just enviromental at your location or is it running off a generator ? if it is I'd be interested what the input is doing before diagnosing the welder - next is we can't see your manipulation or stickout which can have very strange results with synergic machines - has this unit always done this since you got it or has the fault developed over time - a lot of factors can cause synergic machines to freak out ! but a quick check needs to be made on all power connections both outside & internal to the machine especially earth - check earth clamp & good contact to work piece - check liner / feed rolls /spool brake / contact tip as any changing resistance or irregularity of wire feed can cause the machine to constantly try to compensate giving issues such as yours - hope some of that helps.
Revocide

Hi noddybrian thanks for replying.

Good points you raise. I shall try to stick my phone in the welding helmet and get some footage of my welding style and hopefully show the surge issue.

Stick out is between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch. I get that the longer the stick out the greater the resistance/voltage drop from contact tip to arc. I replaced the liner recently but the issue still occurs. Infrequently I might add.

That constant noise in the back ground is a 20ft freezer container running pretty much all day. Gotta have the ear pluggers in just to dull the constant drone of the thing. Gets old after a while.

Will have to borrow a sparkies/electricians clamp on multi meter to test what the input voltages are when in use. The numbers should be 230/250V @ 15A. Should that is. The power is coming from a large facility and the power supply in the area is notorious for fading in and out. I don't have lights where I work so I have no other indicator of power fluctuations, only the welding when it seems to act up.

As part of any troubleshooting excercise I should take it to a good known power source and try it out there.

Revo