mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Backyardmech
    Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Doing my spring maintanance on our boat and trailer, and found some cracks on the galvanized trailer frame. Can i just remove the galvanized coating and weld the breaks? Also I'm using a flux core welder, I'm aware that the gases from heated galvanized coating arent good for your health..so any tips would be appreciated.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

You can repair as you say. If the cracks are due to design you can always weld a flat bar over the repair to reinforce it.
If you post up some pics we'll have a better idea.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

How thick is the existing metal that is cracked?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Backyardmech
    Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:34 pm

Its an 1/8 of an inch, cracks are at the back brackets that bolt on the trailer bunks..lots of stress there. I'm also worried because i just upgraded to a bigger 40hp motor that is about 100lbs heavier then the old motor...
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Can you remake the entire bracket out of 1/4 in? If not weld the cracks and plate over it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

You shouldn't just weld over a crack. You either have to weld both sides of it or grind the crack to a V if you can't reach the other side and you should grind it out a little even if you can reach both sides. If you just weld over a crack, it will likely crack again. You want full penetration. Like others have mentioned, welding a plate over the crack is good too if you are able to but if there are great stresses in that area, the welds on the plate may crack too at some point. The proper way would be to fix the crack first and THEN weld a plate over it. You can't be too careful on something like that. I would also put some spray on cold galvanizing on over the welds to slow rusting. Grind off the galvanizing but be aware it impregnates the base metal a bit so keep your head out of the smoke plume and you'll be fine.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

If you do use a fish plate to reinforce the crack repair, it's best to round the corners of the plate to reduce the stresses of a square corner.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

ldbtx wrote:If you do use a fish plate to reinforce the crack repair, it's best to round the corners of the plate to reduce the stresses of a square corner.
+1
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.