mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
JHenze646
    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm

An opportunity popped up at work. A large aluminum job came in and the company is looking for other people to assist the main welder in its completion. As a hobbyist I don’t have any experience welding aluminum but I am eager to have this opportunity. I worked through a few practice welds with some instruction and it went ok. The actual job will be placing 2-3 inch fillet weld along a T joint formed by 1/4 inch base plate and 1/8 inch sheet butting up to it with a spool gun. My issue is when I weld at the edge of the sheet I am getting some blowout. Are there any tips or tricks to prevent this? Would a copper back up bar or some other material help?

We are running a miller spool gun off a 252 at 20.7 v, 320 wfs, and 25 cfh.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Can you finish on a spot weld that will make it thicker there you could also spot it let it cool and weld from endge to center

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A copper backer will work, or just fire up on the 1/4” side and hold the gun tight to the edge and let the puddle reach over. Don’t try to wash over to the 1/8” side because with a spool gun you’re throwing so much wire already and the heat for the 1/4” will soak in the 1/8” side pretty well without too much effort.