mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
gallantsculpture
    Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Hey all,
Had a conversation with a shop manager the other day where he said that too many of the guys are pulling as they make their welds and consequently are causing micro arcs down inside gun damaging the area around where the gas fitting sits in the cup.
This is something I had never heard of and can't seem to locate any real info or articles on. I've heard the usual differences between pulling/pushing, ie. penetration/visibility etc. but never anything about damage to the equipment. Any truth to this?

It's a miller deltaweld style machine, used mostly for heavy equipment crack repair and light fabrication, medium duty for its capabilities.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Irrespective of the normal argument between pushing and pulling, I never heard anything about it damaging the equipment. And just about every flux core weld I've ever seen was dragged. More likely using the torch as a chipping hammer that does it. If you are not on flux cor, roughly treated equipment is still the most likely cause. We've had an issue where the torches caused issues with the machine but that was a defective design of torch. Once we swapped brands of torch, the issue went away and has never returned.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

as above, pushing or pulling makes no difference to the machine. think about it, in each case the wire is still doing the exact same thing.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Shop manager is talking out of his "other hole."

Had not heard this new internet rumor until now.

Worst part is once it takes hold on the internet, this question will keep coming up for decades....
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

You sure he actually meant that or was it more like guys are pulling the machine around on the shop floor by the torch ?
gallantsculpture
    Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 pm

ya no he was very specific about the idea that pulling welds along is the culprit in causing miro arcs down in the gun. I had a pretty good sense it was not accurate, like one of the other posters pointed out how would the machine know which direction the operator was traveling.

Looking at the equipment there are times walking up to the machine where the cup is very close to the tip, its sort of off center in the cup orifice. Im thinking that its more likely there are times where the operator lets the cup touch the tip and it shunts out against the grounded work and thats whats causing the arcs in the gun. My thought at least.

Anyways thanks for the input all.