mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
rick2184
    Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 pm

I just watched this weeks video and was wondering is there is a process for doing the same thing but with a MIG welder.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Mig will work to a degree if that's all you have - it's harder to place it as precisely as Tig - great care is needed if the broken part is much below the surface not to weld it all together ! - it's easy to build up the part to grip - but the initial bond to the part is much weaker as limited heat is involved & you are limited by the wire type being compatible with the broken part - you can pre-heat the stud / tap with a torch to help - but the results are not as good as Tig - I've done it plenty of times when that's all that was available & had quite a good success rate- it depends a bit on how much force broke the thing off - how much rust has gripped it ( exhaust parts particularly ) & if the broken threaded part hit the bottom of the tapped hole.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

By the time you have any heat in the stud, you full of weld, and will be poorly fused..
Got any pics of your nightmare???
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
rick2184
    Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Haven't run across an application yet but I will definitely remember your comments. Thanks.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Th eidea with the tig is you can use a very small rod and build heat up in the stud and cause it to expand. Its impossible to get the same head to build up like that with mig welding. The tig allows you to concentrate it. Then once you have a big enough lump of weld on the top you can clamp onto it. The only other way I think you could do it is to preheat the stud with a torch and then mig weld the top of the stud. I would try the nut trick Jody used though. It would be the easiest way to keep the heat concentrated and still get a good area to grip with vice grips.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

There is another thread in the library tips area. If anyone else has ideas for removing broken studs. That way the info won't get lost. Also it will give alternatives to mig or tig. Many will not have a tig welder.