General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
racepak
    Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:47 pm

hi guys,
i know, shame on me for asking this but i'm gonna give it a shot anyway,
i have a lincoln invertec 155-s which is a: ( Touch Start TIG™ DC operation allows you to strike the arc easily without high frequency or tungsten contamination) which i cant fade out and cant post flow,

iv been working with the maching for about 3 years, and i'm happy with it, but i got used to working with a foot pedal at work,

i was wondering if its possible to convert the hand pot that is on the maching to a foot pedal. (regardless the Touch Start TIG™)

please help.

thanks
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Just from looking at a picture of your welder, I would say it wasn't possible. But since nothings impossible you might be able to do it if you had a friend that was knowledgeble in electronics and could tie into the circuit board. Maybe then , but it would probably be beyond the scope of most.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

yeah, it's possible, but you'd have more money in paying someone to do it than buying a welder with a remote control port. if you already had the electrical know-how, you might come out ahead if you're time isn't worth anything, though. I'd guess offhand it'd take about 10-20 hours to design, build, and work out the kinks replacing the pot with a pair of LDRs, work up a footpedal, panel connector, ect. it also won;t be nearly as robust as it once was. I believe 'finnicky' would be the proper term.

I haven't looked at the manual, though. you'd have to read through and see if it tells you anywhere not to change the amp settings under load. if it does, then no dice, no matter the cost.